I really should be a blogger

I was chatting with a friend today about blogging, and I felt inspired to get back to this blog and post something!

I give you Fifi Pajamas by Tilly and the Buttons, sewn - not once but TWICE - by yours truly in the last couple of weeks.


 


Supima cotton from Joann Fabrics
Patterned Silk from Fashion Fabrics Club

I made a straight size 5 based on my measurements and didn't change anything.

Backstory to these PJ's - aka why would I sew them in such a bright green? I have been wanting to make these for literally YEARS now in pink stretch silk charmeuse. But I was waiting because that stuff is expensive and I'm trying to lose that last 10 lbs (already 30 lbs down!) and want to make them in whatever size I'm going to be. le sigh. Then enter the Supima! I was wandering around JoAnn's, like you do, and spotted some new Supima Cotton fabric in the quilting section, but trust me, this isn't just for quilting. It's got a shine, a medium drape, and comes in gorgeous colors! In short, I was in love. They had it in two different places in the store and had different colors in each spot, there are like 15 colors of this stuff or something. Finally found this lush blush pink color that I HAD to have. Lo-and-behold I had a 50% off coupon for fabric (this stuff runs about $14/yd) so I felt like the clouds had opened up and a ray of light had just illuminated me, angels were singing, you get the idea.

Then I got that stuff home and washed it and then realized I needed to make a muslin cause no way was I going to cut straight into it without knowing if the pattern would work out of the envelope.

I looked around my sewing room and lighted on this green patterned silk crepe de chine that was actually cheaper by the yard than the luscious cotton. Also this silk had been sitting around my sewing room for several years because it looked a lot different on my monitor than in real life... y'all know what I'm talking about. So it was great to be able to use it for something. I realized I really thought the patterned silk would pop with solid green binding/straps. I sojourned again to the JoAnn's and back to the Supima section (sections). I found a green that *perfectly* matched my silk, but it was a bit shocking to see it in a solid on the bolt! Undaunted, I bought 1.25 yards to make sure I'd have enough for the trim and maybe another pair of shorts - cause really, you can't have enough bottoms for sleepwear. Like in the way that for every bra you need like three matching panties?? anybody? Yeah ok, I'll pretend everyone is as compulsive about matching undies as me.

After trimming the silk pj's I went to cut the shorts out and realized I had enough to squeeze out the top as well! hooray! But then I realized I wanted to trim this set in cream... back to the fabric store! Another 3/4 yard of supima later, I had enough to trim both the green and pink pj's. The cotton PJ's hang so differently than the silk, but both are lovely. I love that they coordinate so well and could be mixed and matched. And I have enough silk left to make a kimono robe - a project for another day, but I can picture wearing it over either of these. Wow, I've never had such coordinated sleepwear!

When will I make the pink ones? Once I've had a chance to sleep in and test out the green ones, which due to monthly timing, hasn't happened yet. boo. but soon!

Comments