Sew Buttons!



Left BAD foot; Right GOOD foot


So I see it's been crickets around here for a LONG time, but you should know it's been cicadas here - like hot as blazes, cicadas buzzing in the trees, summer time. But I've still been sewing!

And I have a lot to show and tell you. For now though, let me go through the epic of making button holes.

I have had two button hole feet for my sewing machine for a long time and always assumed them to be the same. In fact they look very similar, but they are NOT the same. Can you spot the difference between these two? Haha see the little doohickey that sticks out on the left side of the foot? See how the one on the left only has one doohickey and the one on the right has TWO doohickeys? Yeah, turns out that's important - at least on my machine. The second (front) doohickey tells my sewing machine where the front end of the button hole is and to head the other way to finish the button hole. Without that it gets stuck and makes an unholy mess on the back side of my fabric. Yikes. 

The first time I sewed button holes (for Grainline Archer #1) I guess I just happened to pick up the good foot. But last night when I was trying to sew button holes and failing and just growing angry and googling things like "Why is my button hole foot fucking up?" I was obviously using the wrong one. Woops. Oh well. TIL.

Comments