Thread Storage

I have been working lately to get my sewing room organized. I'm tried of hunting for the thread or notions I need to even get a project sewing! I just finished building this with a little help from my love, and I'd like to show you how I did it in case you find yourself with organizational envy and want to make one too.


This whole project cost only about $15 in supplies from my local hardware store. I bought a shelf board that was about 4 feet long and 12 inches wide. I also bought 5, 3/16 inch dowel, four feet long each (I brought my thread spool and bobbin spool to Lowe's to make sure which dowel would fit best). 

1) Mark locations of dowels 
Of course, being a sewer, I used my clear ruler. I measured down from the top of the board 2.5 inches and over 1.5 inches for the first mark. I lined up my ruler and continued marking every 2 inches with a little "T" (this is a good way to know exactly where the center of each mark is), ending with another 1.5 inches. I drew a line along the end where I would cut (my board was too long). Total board length was 25 inches. This gave 12 dowels along the top. I measured another line 2.5 inches down from my first line of "T"s marking the same way. I repeated again for two more rows. This gave a total of 48 dowels.

2) Assemble necessary tools
Drill, Saw, eye protection, adorable pooch in the background (optional)

3) Cut board to marked length

4) Lay board at desired angle of drill hole
You want to be able to drill straight down. Here I have propped my board on some cement pavers we he had kicking around at about a 45 degree angle.



5) Drill
Choose a drill bit roughly the same size as your dowels. Start the hole perpendicular to the wood, then change to desired angle as soon as you have a good footing.


6) Measure and cut dowels
Insert a dowel into a hole and slide one of your spools down onto it. Mark with a pencil just above the spool. Pull this dowel back out and use it as a template to cut all your dowels (in my case I needed 48 and it took about 5 dowels). Leaving the smoother end of each dowel sticking out, push the rougher ends down into the holes. If the drill bit you used was very close to your dowel size (as mine was) you probably don't need any glue. If your dowels are a bit looser in the holes, put a dot of woodglue over each hole, press the dowel into it and wipe any excess off with a damp rag. If you glued, let it dry.








7) Attach cup hooks
I found mine in the screws and nails aisle at Lowe's. Screw larger hooks into the bottom by hand. These are for hanging your scissors, tape measure, whatever. Screw smaller ones into the top - two should be enough. Position against the wall and mark or have an assistant just nail a picture hanging nail (skinny) where one of the top cup hooks is. Using a level, line up straight and finish with the second picture hanging nail.

Voila!

Comments