Saint Patty's Day Peplo



Pattern: Simplicity 1606
Size: 14C
Mods: Lengthened bodice by 1", shortened shoulder seams by extra half inch (sewing a 1" sa instead of 5/8), changed neckline to high sweetheart, hemmed neck and arm holes instead of lining, cut skirt at 11.5 inches. 
Fabric: Quilting cotton from Joanne Fabrics

Comments: 
This was a quick make, I decided Wednesday to make it that night to wear for Thursday, St. Patrick's Day. It's very, VERY sloppy. In fact, don't look too closely at it. I didn't even iron the fabric (you can totally see this in the photos - oops!) Still it looks alright, if you don't look too closely. Although the bodice length is better for me with the added inch, when I sit or bend over, it squishes up and then I sort of look like I have a spare tire round my middle - not great. Partially, this is fabric.... partially. I would much more recommend lining this rather than simple hemming. 

The good: The pattern finally fits! I was using my bust measurement for sizing in my previous attempts with this pattern (making a 16B), but had all this extra room in it. This time I used my high bust measurement landing me in a 14C and, my goodness, it fits better! The fabric, oh my god, the fabric! The quality is thin, stiff, and cheap, but the print is so much fun. The zipper! I hate zippers, oh boy do I hate zippers! I would much rather use eyelets and lacing, but zippers are faster to sew and easier to get in and out of for sure. Well, this time I sewed the zipper how my grandmother showed me. I sewed the seam shut, pinned the zipper over the seam and used my zipper foot-down, across, and up. I opened the center back seam and BAM! mission accomplished!

The bad: Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. Exposed seams everywhere! Threads everywhere! Fit is still not as good as it could be. Neckline looks sloppy and homemade. Bra straps show a bit. Folding and fluffing around my middle as noted above. :/ 

This is not a garment I'm super proud of, BUT I got to wear this fun green top for Saint Patrick's Day which was the goal!

Comments